Saturday, May 30, 2015

Food Friday (On Saturday) - Herbs and Spices and Veggies, Oh My!

from Tracey G.


It's been a rough week around here, lol. Once again some cold bug found me (Harry had it first), and knocked me down. I am slowly finding my way back up, but it's been rough going. I thought for the first two days of this cold that it was my allergies acting up - but when it got worse by the third day, I knew it was more than allergies, lol. And it's only gotten worse, which is really annoying. Or maybe it only feels like it's gotten worse because it keeps changing and adding things to it, lol. Whatever it is, I knew this week's recipe had to be simple and something that sounded good, lol. After talking with Kris, she's had a busy-as-all-get-out week with lots going on around her house, only in the form of still unpacking things and dealing with household plumbing issues that I do not wish on my worst enemy. Well, maybe I would wish it on my worst enemy, lol. 

I've had lots of time to peruse my foodie magazines this week, since the trying to be on the computer hasn't really worked for me at all, (I'm so behind in everything!) so I've spent time reading my magazines and looking for new recipes to try. I ran across this spiced roasted carrot recipe in one of my Taste Of Home magazines and it caught my eye. I like this kind of spice combination, I've been known to cube up my sweet potatoes, toss with brown sugar, cumin and chili powder before I roast them and I usually can't stop eating them, lol. So, yes, this one definitely caught my attention as it uses one of my very favorite vegetables! I love carrots in just about any way I can get them, but I have to say roasted is my all-time favorite way to prepare them. :-) 


It looks like a hefty list of spices, but for me it's stuff I always have around anyway - salt, ground coriander, cumin, pepper, chili powder, paprika, ground ginger, cinnamon, cayenne and ground clove.


Toss the carrots that you've cut into about 2-inch pieces with olive oil and the spices/seasonings in a large bowl. 


Spread them evenly on a baking sheet (I lined mine in foil) and roast in a 400° F oven for about 25-30 minutes. I think I let mine go about 35 minutes until they looked the way I wanted them to look.

 I did cut the recipe in half this time around, but next time I will make the full 8 servings as it's one I could eat quite a bit of! Really couldn't be simpler and it was a really yummy recipe in my opinion - next time I may try doing the recipe in foil packets on the grill to keep the house cool for summer! :-D It's also a seasoning mix I'd like to try adding a bit of brown sugar to, to add a bit of sweetness to it. I think it's also something I'll try on my roasted sweet potatoes sometime as well!


Oven Roasted Spiced Carrots

2 lbs. medium carrots, cut into 2-in. pieces
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
Dash ground cloves
Dash cayenne pepper

1) Preheat oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, toss carrots with oil. Mix seasonigs; sprinkle over carrots and toss to coat. 

2) Arrange carrots evenly in a single layer in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Roast 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. 


from Kris B.



How is it that when you think things are going to settle down and you"ll have more time, life is busier than ever and there seems to be less time to get everything done?  During the school year, I had it on my calendar to work on these posts on Thursday evening and Friday afternoons.  That's the time I had and that's when it got done, almost without fail.  Once school was over, I told myself that I would get ahead of the game.  Obviously, since this is Food Friday on Saturday, that hasn't happened.  The problem is that I didn't literally block out on my calendar the time to get my post done and the other things that I neglected between August and May, and then some, are now rearing their ugly heads and I am still as behind as ever.  

As Tracey mentioned, there is a lot going on around here, some things that were planned and some that were unplanned.  We are having major plumbing work done.  That was planned.  The unplanned has been in the form of the weather.  Flooding and power outages have wreaked havoc in our area.  I would say that I am learning to go with the flow, but that saying takes on a whole new meaning right now here in flood-ridden Texas.  It is hard for me to accept missing deadlines, even when they are self-imposed.  In this case, since Tracey has been sick and we were without power in the middle of the week, it seems in our best interest to accept what is and move on.

All that said, here is this week's recipe, Yellow Squash and Rosemary Quiche.

I am a huge fan of the summer squashes, both zucchini and yellow squash.  I think it is because my dad always had tons of it in his garden so we ate it a lot and in many different ways.  This quiche recipe is one that I stumbled upon a few summers ago.  I know, yellow squash is not the first ingredient that comes to mind when you think of quiche, but works well!

INGREDIENTS

Pie crust
1 TBS butter
1 1/2 - 2 yellow squash (approximately 12 ozs.)
2 TBS fresh coarsely chopped rosemary
6 eggs
1 Cup Whipping cream
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Confession: I usually make my own pie crust, but I did not do that this time.  I used a good quality store-bought pie shell and that makes this recipe super easy and super quick!

Prepare pie shell as directed on package.

For the quiche, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the squash into 1/4 inch slices.



Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat.  Saute the squash and rosemary until the squash becomes slightly browned.  



Remove from heat.  



Lightly beat the eggs and then add the whipping cream, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.  Whisk together.  What is it about eggs and their containers that makes them so photogenic?

Place the prepare pie shell on a baking sheet to prevent bubbling over on your clean oven.  Place the squash and rosemary mixture in the bottom of the pie shell.  Add the cheese.  



Top with the egg mixture.  You may not need it all.

Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and set in the middle.

Variations: I have also added bacon to this.  Cook four slices of quality bacon. Omit the butter for sautéing and cook the squash and rosemary in a little of the bacon drippings.

I have also used thyme instead of rosemary.  Experiment with your favorite herbs.





Have a happy and healthy (and dry) week!

1 comment:

  1. Ladies, these recipes look wonderful and so tasty! I hope both of you have a better week. Sounds like it is very needed.

    ReplyDelete